[Techtalk] Sendmail hostname?

Amanda Babcock alb at quandary.org
Wed Oct 9 14:26:29 EST 2002

Answering my own question.

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 10:28:29AM -0400, Amanda Babcock wrote:

> Is there any way to get sendmail to use just my domain name (quandary.org)
> in its HELO when sending mail, instead of using the full hostname
> mercury.quandary.org?  Trying to talk to a server that thinks it knows
> no such host exists (broken DNS)...

Turned out it wasn't the HELO that was the problem, but the MAIL FROM:
(i.e. the envelope-from, which can be different from the From: line in
the headers).

One solution: if using mutt, put "set envelope_from" in the .muttrc.
Make sure hostname is also set to just your domain name in the .muttrc.
Mutt will then invoke sendmail with the -f option, supplying an envelope-
from of "username at domain.name" for sendmail to use.  Then sendmail will
issue the command "MAIL FROM: username at domain.name" during negotiations
with the remote MTA.

Amanda