[Techtalk] Sendmail hostname?

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Wed Oct 9 22:31:19 EST 2002

On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 10:28:29AM -0400 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Amanda Babcock thought:
> Is there any way to get sendmail to use just my domain name (quandary.org)
> in its HELO when sending mail, instead of using the full hostname
> mercury.quandary.org?  Trying to talk to a server that thinks it knows
> no such host exists (broken DNS)...

In my /etc/sendmail.conf...

# my official domain name
# ... define this only if sendmail cannot automatically determine your
domain
#Dj$w.Foo.COM

# class E: names that should be exposed as from this host, even if we
masquerade# class L: names that should be delivered locally, even if we
have a relay
# class M: domains that should be converted to $M
#CL root
CE root
FG/etc/mail/genericsdomain
CMHobbiton.cod.ie

In my /etc/mail/genericsdomain

[cdaly at Hobbiton cdaly]$ more /etc/mail/genericsdomain
Hobbiton.cod.ie

I don't really know what all this means but if you look at my headers,
you'll see that my machine claims to be hobbiton.cod.ie when talking to
SMTP hosts.  OTOH, I'm using a smart host as relay so I don't talk
directly to other smtp servers...

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)