[Techtalk] Sendmail hostname?

Shirrell shirrell at pstat.com
Wed Oct 9 14:43:44 EST 2002

> From techtalk-admin at linuxchix.org Wed Oct  9 14:20:11 2002
> To: techtalk at linuxchix.org
> Subject: Re: [Techtalk] Sendmail hostname?
> Sender: techtalk-admin at linuxchix.org
>
> Answering my own question.
>
> On Wed, Oct 09, 2002 at 10:28:29AM -0400, Amanda Babcock wrote:
>
> > Is there any way to get sendmail to use just my domain name (quandary.org)
> > in its HELO when sending mail, instead of using the full hostname
> > mercury.quandary.org?  Trying to talk to a server that thinks it knows
> > no such host exists (broken DNS)...
>
> Turned out it wasn't the HELO that was the problem, but the MAIL FROM:
> (i.e. the envelope-from, which can be different from the From: line in
> the headers).
>
> One solution: if using mutt, put "set envelope_from" in the .muttrc.
> Make sure hostname is also set to just your domain name in the .muttrc.
> Mutt will then invoke sendmail with the -f option, supplying an envelope-
> from of "username at domain.name" for sendmail to use.  Then sendmail will
> issue the command "MAIL FROM: username at domain.name" during negotiations
> with the remote MTA.
>
> Amanda

In sendmail this is controlled by the sendmail configuration files.
The following is an excerpt from my sendmail.cf

# class E: names that should be exposed as from this host, even if we masquerade# class L: names that should be delivered locally, even if we have a relay
# class M: domains that should be converted to $M
#CL root
CE root
CMpstat.com

# who I masquerade as (null for no masquerading) (see also $=M)
DMpstat.com

-------

I believe it is the CM and DM controls followed by the domain name
which solved this problem for us.

Shirrell at pstat.com