[Techtalk] rmserver, should I be worried?

Carlo Hamalainen ch at uqconnect.net
Wed Oct 9 14:52:00 EST 2002

Hi,

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, Jeannette wrote:
> I just walked past my RH 7.3 box (default (2.4.18-3) kernel, but behind a
> firewall) at 9:00 PM, and was concerned to hear it grinding away on
> something .... I ran top, and it said that a process called rmserver was
> using 98% of the CPU, and had used a total of 214 minutes of CPU time.
> I've never heard of rmserver, and I can't find any mention using man or
> man -k. No entry in /var/log/messages since early this morning. A google

The quickest way to find out what this is, is usually to:

1) Find if there is an executable called 'rmserver', which can be done
with "whereis rmserver" or "locate rmserver" or whatever you like.

2) Find out which rpm package owns the file, eg.

[carlo at cit057492 carlo]$ rpm -qf /bin/ps
procps-2.0.7-11

tells me that procps owns the /bin/ps file.

3) Find out some info about the package, eg. "rpm -qi procps" should tell
you something.

4) After all that I typically do "rpm -e blah" :-)

In this situation you haven't specifically asked for this package, so it's
likely you won't need it. If the packages that you need to also remove due
to dependencies also look 'useless', then let them all go.

And it it actually was useful, a quick rpm -Uvh blah will get things back
in order...

-- Carlo