[Techtalk] rmserver, should I be worried?

Jeannette jcv at hise.org
Tue Oct 8 20:27:22 EST 2002

I just walked past my RH 7.3 box (default (2.4.18-3) kernel, but behind a
firewall) at 9:00 PM, and was concerned to hear it grinding away on
something .... I ran top, and it said that a process called rmserver was
using 98% of the CPU, and had used a total of 214 minutes of CPU time.
I've never heard of rmserver, and I can't find any mention using man or
man -k. No entry in /var/log/messages since early this morning. A google
search turned up a couple mentions of rmserver in connection with
RealPlayer; unless this ships with a standard RH install, I shouldn't have
RealPlayer, and I don't understand what it is trying to do all of a sudden
that is so much work!

I shut the system down. Can anyone tell me what this process is and if it
is normal?

Thanks in advance!

Jeannette