[Techtalk] Samba servers and mixed platform networks

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Sun Oct 6 23:54:16 EST 2002

At 10:01 AM -0600 10/5/02, Betty Johnson wrote:
>The problems start with Mac OS X.  They keep getting disconnected from the
>server. They cannot open files directly from the server, they need to
>transfer to their desktops first.

I'm running a small multiplatform network, and have had trouble with
Samba and OS X - it's hard to keep a connection. But, I've been using
Netatalk fine with OS X since it came out, so I haven't bothered to
troubleshoot the samba problems. I run both netatalk and samba on the
file server.

So - what version of netatalk are you using? Any tips that can help
troubleshoot this problem? What version of OS X? (I've gotten
netatalk to work with 10.0->10.2, pretty much w/o a hitch)
--
.Michelle

Michelle Murrain, Technology Consulting
tech at murrain.net     http://www.murrain.net
413-253-2874 ph
413-222-6350 cell
413-825-0288 fax
AIM:pearlbear0 Y!:pearlbear9 ICQ:129250575

"A vocation is where the world's hunger & your great gladness meet."
Frederick Buechner