[Techtalk] new spam thingy

Tim White timw at tojo.objectif.com.au
Fri Nov 22 17:03:46 EST 2002

The virus does exploit a problem with Outlook/Outlook Express, where you
can have these 'special' things called iframes in HTML mail (I have no
idea why you would normally use an iframe by the way).

Below is a snippet of a virus our mailscanner picked up - both BugBear
and Klez work the same way.

1) MIME Email with HTML bit and Bad Code bit
2) iframe in HTML bit points to the Bad Code bit in the same email -
hence just looking at the message will run the attachment.
3) Bad Code bit uses silly Outlook fault that trusts the MIME
Content-Type (in this case saying that the attachment is a midi file) to
decide what to do with the file. Even tho' the attachment is a .pif -
Outlook decides that it is safe because it is a midi file and then
executes it.

These viruses are an extra PITA because you can't tell who sent them,
the only part of the headers you can trust is the IP address that your
email server received the message from. Sometimes you can compare that
to other mail received but that is annoyingly tedious.

Below is the email snippet I mentioned, have a nice weekend,

Tim White

<HTML><HEAD></HEAD><BODY>
<iframe src=3Dcid:P8k5I4Vw6hp2I2uCOw1 height=3D0 width=3D0>
</iframe>
<FONT></FONT></BODY></HTML>

--Xz3V7895F0O6q7
<VIRUS SNIPPED>