[Techtalk] Dual Booting Red Hat and Mandrake

Arashi showercurtain2000 at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 22 18:44:24 EST 2002

Last night I installed Red Hat on my computer, which already has
Mandrake. Mandrake is on /dev/hda1 and RH is on /dev/hda6. I'm using
GRUB as the boot loader and Red Hat was selected as the default OS.
It works fine but if I select Mandrake from the the boot menu, I get
this error message:

booting Mandrake...

rootverify (hd 0,0)
chainloader +1
Error 13: Invalid or unsupported exec format
Press any key to continue

Can anyone explain how this error occurs, eg: why does it complain
about the exec format?   I've tried googling on this topic but most
advice assumes the user is trying to dual boot windows and linux.
Also, if I use the Mandrake boot disk, it displays the message:
kernel panic: init not found, try passing init = to the kernel."  I
read somewhere this happens because of changes in the order the
drives are detected.  If this is the case, how can I fix it?

Many thanks
Berenice