[Techtalk] mbox to maildir conversion

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Mon Nov 18 17:50:33 EST 2002

At 11/18/02 04:39 PM , David Merrill wrote:

>Does anybody have experience with this? Can you confirm it?

I don't use IMAP, and haven't really used mbox at all, being a
qmail/Maildirs user since I started as a mail administrator. But:

>I'd also appreciate any advice or recommendations on how to do the
>conversion with a minimum of pain.

Check out convert-and-create, by Russell Nelson, at
http://www.qmail.org/convert-and-create. There are also a pair of scripts
based on it: mbox2maildir, at http://www.qmail.org/mbox2maildir, and
convertsubs, at http://www.qmail.org/convertsubs.pl. They're all in Perl.
If one of them doesn't do what you want, some combination of the three should.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"Then, when they spill the demon seed
  Turn and face into the wind.
  All along you still believed...