[Techtalk] Moz-a-browser II

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Tue Nov 12 14:04:47 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-11-11 at 20:44, Andrew wrote:
> 	Nils,
>
> 	Your explaination was very helpful. It seem sticking with Moz may be
> the way to go, iritating as it is. Is Netscape less prone to flash &
> Java problems?

As the plugins are the same regardless of whether you use Mozilla,
Galeon, Konqueror, ... I don't think that it'd make much of a difference
(if I'm right and the problems are due to errors in the plugin),
especially since Netscape (version >= 6) and Mozilla are very similar
(the one being derived from the other code-wise). A point where it could
make a difference with different browsers are if one browser has a buggy
plugin interface and/or handling (and the other one doesn't).

> Have you tried Phoenix?

Once. Very lean, but I cannot say a word about its performance with
Flash or Java ;-).

> 	It is especially nice to know the "usual" X failure symptoms. I now
> have more faith in my hardware.

It's easy once you think about it that way: The frozen application
doesn't redraw itself (on exposure events), so rests of the window you
move over the frozen app remain there.

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg //
+49.7152.209647