[Techtalk] debian and vga= in lilo.conf

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Mon Nov 11 23:26:02 EST 2002

Hi

I have just installed debian for the first time, and am trying to configure a few things.

My first task is to make it so I can actually read the text on the monitor :) The default resolution is so huge as to be nearly impossible to use.

I have to tried to fix this problem by adding the line:
vga=ask
to my lilo.conf (and running the lilo command afterwards!)

However, when I reboot, I get the prompt saying "press enter to see a list of modes" and I choose 6, which is OFO7 80x60. I then get a quick flash of text in the smaller font, but then it all swaps back to the huge text again!

Can anyone point me in the direction of what I am doing wrong? My previous experience has been with MDK and RH, and the vga= line has always worked as expected.

The deb box is running stable 3.0 and I did a very base install - I didnt select any additional packages other than just the base. Am I missing something in order for this to work?

All help appreciated.

Hamster