[Techtalk] Modem not detected after installing the .rpm file

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Mon Nov 11 09:05:19 EST 2002

Looks like it won't work.  See:

  http://linmodems.org/cgi-bin/ezmlm-cgi?1:mss:5310

Also it appears you didn't get the suggestions I sent
regarding your Aztech UM9800 USB modem and the driver from
"http://www.smlink.com/download/".  Here they are again:

Subject: Re: [Techtalk] HELP:mounting from floppy and save file into floppy
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 22:23:20 -0800
From: Rod Roark <rod at sunsetsystems.com>
To: "linda ling" <lindaling at hotmail.com>

Thanks Linda.  This looks good, except you'll need to install
your Red Hat kernel source before you can compile the driver.

For that, put your #2 Red Hat CD into your CD drive and type
these commands as root:

    mount /mnt/cdrom
    rpm -i /mnt/cdrom/RedHat/RPMS/kernel-source-2.4.18-3.i386.rpm
    umount /mnt/cdrom
    cd /usr/src
    ln -s linux-2.4.18-3 linux

Now, hopefully, you can build the driver.  Put your driver
diskette into the floppy drive and do this:

    cd /usr/src
    mcopy a:slmdm*
    tar zxf slmdm*
    rm slmdm*.gz
    cd slmdm-2.6.16_i386
    make
    make install-usb
    modprobe slusb

Of course if any of these commands give an error, figure out
what's wrong (yes you can check with me) and fix it before
continuing.

*If* all this works, there's a pretty good chance you will
have a working modem.  The device name will be "/dev/modem"
which is the default for many applications that access
modems.

I highly recommend "kppp" (which comes with KDE) for making
a dialup connection.  See if you can figure it out.

Let me know how things go.

Cheers,

-- Rod