[Techtalk] Modem not detected after installing the .rpm file

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Mon Nov 11 16:28:51 EST 2002

On Mon, Nov 11, 2002 at 04:16:12AM +0000, linda ling wrote:
>    I have a problem with me right now.I'm currently using internal Motorola
> SM56 and i've got the driver for Linux RedHat 7.1 but the RH version i'm
> using is RH7.3...kernel version 2.4.18-3.i kept the rpm file int he floppy.
>   First,i mount the floppy with the command mount /mnt/floppy.Then, i copy
> the file into my /root directory.From there, i run the rpm file with
> KPackage...if i'm not mistaken.

If it's a binary rpm module, then you will need to get an updated
version (almost certainly). The kernel that came with Red Hat 7.1 is
different from the one that came with Red Hat 7.3. So the module will
have been installed for a different kernel than the one you are running
(and it's not always possible to just copy it to the right directory).

Also, to get more debugging information, try putting a line like this:

*.debug    /var/log/debug

into /etc/syslog.conf and restarting syslogd (/etc/init.d/syslogd
restart). Have a look at the syslog.conf(5) man page if the above line
just looks like gibberish.

Then you might be able to see some diagnostic messages being printed to
/var/log/debug, possibly something like 'cannot load module' or 'out of
cucumber, please reinstall universe' or whatever.

Malcolm

--
Always try to be modest and be proud of it!