[Techtalk] Error installing the driver of my 10/100MB Ethernet card

Magni Onsoien magnio+lc-techtalk at pvv.ntnu.no
Fri Nov 8 13:02:27 EST 2002

On Fri, Nov 08, 2002 at 10:46:29AM +0000, Meredydd Luff said:
> On Friday 08 November 2002 09:41, Magni Onsoien wrote:
> > However, from what you wrote in your first post you computer seems to
> > have recognized it and you should then not have to compile the module
> > yourself.
>
> Ah, not necessarily. What was given was the output of lspci, I'm pretty sure
> (sorry, deleted that message!) - lspci merely uses PCI standard queries to
> get info on any card connected to the system. That the kernel recognises that
> PCI device number xxx is a card reporting itself as a "Sweex PCI Lancard" is
> a LONG way from having a driver for it loaded and recognising it. lspci just
> tells you that the card's connected, not that the OS has managed to *do*
> anything with it.

I know, but I don't know if it in fact was from lspci - it was from KDE
control center, does that use lspci or something else?

Running the command kudzu could also detect the card and find a driver
for it. Kudzu will probably find the driver if it says it detects the
card.

Magni :)
--
sash is very good for you.