[Techtalk] HELP:mounting from floppy and save file into floppy

Caitlyn M. Martin cmartin at rateintegration.com
Tue Nov 5 13:51:06 EST 2002

Hi, Linda,

>     Hello everyone!i'm currently facing problem mounting my floppy.I've
> tried a few commands as below but somehow it doesn't work:
>
> 1)mount /mnt/floppy
> 2)mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
> 3)change etc/fstab file from    /dev/fd0    /mnt/floppy  ext2      to
>                                 /dev/fd0    /mnt/floppy   vfat

To mount a floppy one of the following two things must be true:

1) You're root -or-
2) The user option is set in /etc/fstab

Did you su to root before trying this?  Do you get an error message?

>       Another problem is how do i compress a file and save it to floppy?I
> wish to choose only specific file from a folder to be compressed and save it
> into a floppy

The most popular options are gzip and bzip2.  Both have man pages that
explain how they work.  Just enter:

man gzip

at the command line.  What's really cool is that both support tar as a
command line option, so you can tar up a directory and compress it in a
single command.

If you are more comfortable working from a GUI there are graphical front
ends to the various compression utilities.  Ark is the archiver for KDE
3.x, while karchiveur was in older versions.  TkZip is another that's
window manager agnostic.  They all are similar enough in concept to
WinZip that you should have no problem finding your way around.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Cait