[Techtalk] HELP:mounting from floppy and save file into floppy

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Tue Nov 5 23:02:42 EST 2002

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 12:51:06PM -0500 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Caitlyn M. Martin thought:
> Hi, Linda,
> >
> >     Hello everyone!i'm currently facing problem mounting my floppy.I've
> > tried a few commands as below but somehow it doesn't work:
> >
> > 1)mount /mnt/floppy
> > 2)mount -t vfat /dev/fd0 /mnt/floppy
> > 3)change etc/fstab file from    /dev/fd0    /mnt/floppy  ext2      to
> >                                 /dev/fd0    /mnt/floppy   vfat
>
> To mount a floppy one of the following two things must be true:
>
> 1) You're root -or-
> 2) The user option is set in /etc/fstab

And don't forget, once you _do_ manage to mount it, that saving a file to
the floppy may cache the write so that, doing:

cp <file>.gz /mnt/floppy
umount /mnt/floppy

will result in the floppy drive light still being on after the umount
command returns.  The file may not have hit the floppy before you umount
it so the physical write to floppy disk is still happening.  So, don't
eject the floppy until the light goes out...

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)