[Techtalk] Intro and Gentoo

Emma Jane Hogbin emmajane at xtrinsic.com
Sun Nov 3 11:37:00 EST 2002

Hi :)

I'm found this list while I was wondering around google looking for other
women interested in linux/open source technology. This fall I switched
from Windows to RedHat7.3 -- I'd been using OS products on Windows to make
the transition a little easier. I really liked using RedHat7.3 for the
first couple of weeks.

On Sun, Nov 03, 2002 at 02:11:54AM -0500, Andrew wrote:
> easiest. Gentoo sounds like it is about choices, a great way to a
> streamlined, less bulky box, more robust, but you need to know what to
> choose, something that takes Linux experience. Someday I will look at it
> again.
> 	I would like to hear comments.

This is what I thinking about switching to. What I really like about
gentoo is that it uses up-to-date packages. My big frustration with RedHat
is that it depends on really old Python for so many of its GUIs. I
upgraded for Zope and now I have to tweak everything by hand when I start
up the computer.

Fortunately I have 15Gigs or so that isn't formatted on my computer to do
exactly these kinds of things. School uses SuSE so I could try that and I
also have Mandrake CDs which I had on my old laptop very briefly.
Unfortunately I wasn't ever able to get my internet connection to work
with Mandrake and my old laptop.

I think the web site said something about sending an introduction as well.
Seeing as I'm already rambling (only halfway through the first coffee)
I'll do that now too: I'm Emma Hogbin. I work as an independant web developer in
Toronto, Canada. I also teach at Seneca College here in Toronto. I
maintain a couple of sites (below) and have a lot more sites that are
sitting on the proverbial shelf. I'm working on a new web site that is
going to have a journal of my linux frustrations as well as some how-to
"articles" that will summarize things when I do get them working. This
site should be ready for prime-time within the next couple of weeks.

emma

--
Emma Jane Hogbin
[[ 416 417 2868 ][ www.xtrinsic.com ][ www.emmajane.net ]]