[Techtalk] Re: [Issues] windows

James jas at spamcop.net
Mon May 13 14:15:05 EST 2002

On 13 May 2002, Rebecca J. Walter wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 14:43, Jim wrote:
> > Does any linux person know how to install Suse Linux and retain Windows xp
>

> I think this belongs on techtalk, not issues.  Please send further
> replies there.
>
> What type of partition did you use for XP?  If you used an NTFS format
> for XP, SuSE can't resize it to make room for SuSE.  The safest thing to
> do is to add an additional hard drive for Linux.  If you have multiple
> partitions for XP, move the data off one of them and use that one for
> Linux.  I don't know if there are any tools that work on the NT file
> system available elsewhere you could use for resizing the NT partition.

Yes: Partition Magic can do exactly this - just shrink your existing NTFS
partition enough to make space for Linux.

> I am not familiar with XP.  I just know what my SuSE manual tells me.

I doubt SuSE includes a tool capable of this - I think one other Linux
distro DOES bundle a limited version of Partition Magic, though...

The easiest approach (but this does cost money!) is to buy a copy of
Partition Magic - it's quite useful for this kind of job, but rather
expensive for one-off use... Alternatively:

1. Backup the files, reformat, repartition, restore. (Painful!)
2. Partition Magic.
3. Add another HDD (nice if you can afford it, but even more $$$)

PM is written by PowerQuest; I think www.powerquest.com would do?
Alternatively, a copy of Symantec/Norton Ghost could make an image of the
HDD, and restore it into a smaller partition, I think - but again this
costs money...

James.