[Techtalk] Re: [Issues] windows

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Mon May 13 22:55:08 EST 2002

On Mon, May 13, 2002 at 02:15:05PM +0100 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
James thought:
> On 13 May 2002, Rebecca J. Walter wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 2002-05-13 at 14:43, Jim wrote:
> > > Does any linux person know how to install Suse Linux and retain Windows xp
> >
> > What type of partition did you use for XP?  If you used an NTFS format
> > for XP, SuSE can't resize it to make room for SuSE.  The safest thing to
> > do is to add an additional hard drive for Linux.  If you have multiple
> > partitions for XP, move the data off one of them and use that one for
> > Linux.  I don't know if there are any tools that work on the NT file
> > system available elsewhere you could use for resizing the NT partition.
>
> Yes: Partition Magic can do exactly this - just shrink your existing NTFS
> partition enough to make space for Linux.
>
> > I am not familiar with XP.  I just know what my SuSE manual tells me.
>
> I doubt SuSE includes a tool capable of this - I think one other Linux
> distro DOES bundle a limited version of Partition Magic, though...
>
> The easiest approach (but this does cost money!) is to buy a copy of
> Partition Magic - it's quite useful for this kind of job, but rather
> expensive for one-off use... Alternatively:
>
> 1. Backup the files, reformat, repartition, restore. (Painful!)
> 2. Partition Magic.
> 3. Add another HDD (nice if you can afford it, but even more $$$)
>
> PM is written by PowerQuest; I think www.powerquest.com would do?
> Alternatively, a copy of Symantec/Norton Ghost could make an image of the
> HDD, and restore it into a smaller partition, I think - but again this
> costs money...

Does anyone know if XP will require your to use up an activation if you
resize the partition(s)?  My boss got a machine recently with XP and a
_single_ 100Gb NTFS partition!  Imagine defragging that...

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)