[Techtalk] Soundcard not cooperating.

Conni ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed May 8 18:20:33 EST 2002

On May 8, Laurel Fan conjectured:

> On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 05:32:48PM -0700, Conni wrote:
> > I rebooted, since that fixed it last time.  No such luck.
> > crw-------    1 conni    root      14,   3 Aug 30  2001 /dev/dsp
> > crw-------    1 conni    root      14,   3 Aug 30  2001 /dev/audio
>
> Wait, this looks funny...
>
> Mine look like this:
> crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   4 Dec 31  1969 /dev/sound/audio
> crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 Dec 31  1969 /dev/sound/dsp
>
> you have a "14, 3" for the major and minor devices for your
> /dev/audio, but I have "14, 4".  That might make your /dev/audio act

That was my bad in pasting.  They are indeed 14, 3 and 14, 4,
respectively.

Is the owner/group thing a problem?

See, I *know* I didn't change any settings for sound in the past 48 hours.
I have no idea why it just quit working.

Conni
not very good at this.

--
Entropy:  It's not just a good idea; it's the law.

		  www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt