[Techtalk] Soundcard not cooperating.

Conni ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Wed May 8 19:24:55 EST 2002

bOn May 8, Laurel Fan conjectured:

> You could try making your /dev/audio 14,4 with:
>
> rm /dev/audio
> mknod /dev/audio c 14 4

Out of curiosity,  I tried this.  It chowned to root, so I restarted X,
and it still didn't give me the process.  So I chowned it to me.  Still,
esd not working right.  It changed permissions, though, to crw-r--r--.
Could this be a permissions issue?  Or, worse, could the sound card itself
have come unseated from the board?  (which doesn't make much sense, when
cat file /dev/audio makes noise, does it?)

I changed it to crw-rw-r--, and it's still not working right.

Why is installing linux on a laptop so much harder?

(I still haven't gotten the console size issue worked out, and I haven't
found an apm thing that doesn't hang the system.  I tried the power switch
to put it to sleep (worked) and to wake it up (killed it.)  I tried
hitting a key to wake it.  I tried apm -s to sleep it, and the power key
to wake it.  Nothing worked.  Stupid thing.  And I'd like someday to get
the internal wireless ethernet card configured, and figure out what
voodoo to perform to get my digital camera to talk to it right (which
mostly entails figuring out which of the 50 /dev/usb things it is).  So
far, I've crashed gphoto a dozen times.  And xsane won't even acknowledge
its presence.)

Conni
enough rambling.

--