[Techtalk] Soundcard not cooperating.

Laurel Fan laurel at sdf.lonestar.org
Wed May 8 18:05:46 EST 2002

On Wed, May 08, 2002 at 05:32:48PM -0700, Conni wrote:
> I rebooted, since that fixed it last time.  No such luck.
> crw-------    1 conni    root      14,   3 Aug 30  2001 /dev/dsp
> crw-------    1 conni    root      14,   3 Aug 30  2001 /dev/audio

Wait, this looks funny...

Mine look like this:
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   4 Dec 31  1969 /dev/sound/audio
crw-rw----    1 root     audio     14,   3 Dec 31  1969 /dev/sound/dsp

(my modification dates are strange and the devices are in the
subdirectory because I have devfs).

you have a "14, 3" for the major and minor devices for your
/dev/audio, but I have "14, 4".  That might make your /dev/audio act
like a /dev/dsp, which might confuse things.  Not sure if that's your
problem though, because most things on linux use /dev/dsp, and its
probably been like that since last august.

You could try making your /dev/audio 14,4 with:

rm /dev/audio
mknod /dev/audio c 14 4

(as root)

laurel at sdf.lonestar.org