[Techtalk] Help!

bsweeney bsweeney at physics.ucsb.edu
Tue Mar 5 10:14:08 EST 2002

Samantha wrote:

>Please forgive the cross posting I am desperate and
>trying to cover all bases at once.

No problem!

>Today I ran RH's up2date program in order to take care
>of the security alert they emailed me about. Stayed
>logged in all day. When I logged out of Linux tonight
>and went over to the windows side of the box. When I
>rebooted Grub offered me 2 versions of Linux (2.4.7-10
>& 2.4.9-31) I assumed that the latter was the newer
>version and booted that one. The first thing that
>happened was I got a sound server error (cpu overload,
>aborting) which is fine because I have an integrated
>sound card that is not supported yet, then KNotify
>crashed. Hmmmm. okay close that app.

I've had problems with this as well, though it seems to "go away" after
a few reboots.  Haven't had time to really troubleshoot it unfortunately.

>Then I find that
>I am not connected to the net (I have DSL) even though
>I was and still am on the windows side. OK, reboot.
>Boot into the old version...no sound server error.
>Good sign or so I thought. Still no internet
>connection! Does anyone have an idea of why this is
>happening??

First question: Is it plugged in?  This may seem silly, but trust me
asking this question could've saved me much heartache in many
circumstances.  Check the cabling all around.  Do you have a link light
on your NIC and your DSL router?  If not, look no further!  Try swapping
cables, etc.  I know, the odds of a hardware problem developing just as
you updated the kernel are slim.  Yet, that always seems to be when I
find mine ;-)

If that doesn't work, I know RedHat did released an update for their
init scripts to fix a problem aquiring/refreshing IP addresses.  I
believe it was only for systems whos ip changes often (like my laptop,
jumping from home lan to work lan), but I'm not sure.  In any case, the
update didn't fix the issue for me.  The only thing that did was to
issue a pump command manually.

So, as I believe someone else suggested, type an ifconfig -a command and
see what the status of your network interfaces is.  If the network
interface does not show up when you run ifconfig -a (ie, you don't see
anything besides the "lo" interface), things get a bit more interesting
as for whatever reason you're nic card isn't being recognized.  But I
doubt that's it; if it is, post again.

If it is there, try executing the command "pump -i <interface>" where
interface is the name of your network interface (most likely eth0,
though it could be eth1, eth2 etc if you have more than one network card
in your system; it's NOT 'lo' though).  At that point, recheck your
network interfaces, but this time just type ifconfig without the -a.
 That'll show only the interfaces which are "up", along with ip,
netmask, broadcast info, etc.  If you see your interface there with an
ip address, and you still can't get network activity, try narrowing down
the issue.  Ping an ip address on the net to see if it's a general
networking failure or just a DNS issue; 216.239.51.101 and
216.239.33.101are google ip addresses, and should respond.  Type "ping
<ip>" to ping those hosts.  If that works, then type "ping
www.google.com".  If THAT works, then general networking and DNS are
working!  At that point, any inability to surf the web, check email,
etc, would most likely be an application issue.  If pinging the ip
addresses works, but pinging the names doesn't, check your
/etc/resolv.conf file.  There will be listed your current nameservers.
 Try pinging their ip addresses; do they respond?  If not, you've got
issues contacting your name server.  Try calling your ISP to let them know.

If pinging the google ip addresses failed, type "netstat -rn" to get a
list of your systems' routing information.  It should look something
like this:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination            Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS
Window  irtt Iface
<your-network>    0.0.0.0             <your-netmask>U        40
 0              0   eth0
127.0.0.0                0.0.0.0             255.0.0.0
U        40      0              0   lo
0.0.0.0                    <gateway-ip>   0.0.0.0            UG       40
     0              0    eth0

The first line tells linux to address any systems on your subnet locally
via eth0 (or whatever the name of your network interface is), sending
information directly to them.  The second line tells your system to
address itself via the loopback interface.  The third line tells your
system to send any information not destined for one of the first two
through your default gateway, whos ip address will be <gateway-ip> .
 Try pinging this ip address.   If you can't, but you're sure you have a
linklight, I'm not entirely sure where you should go from there.
 Perhaps replace the nic?  If you have no line like the third line above
in your routing table that has a destination of 0.0.0.0 with the flags
"UG", then for whatever reason you didn't get routing information from
your dhcp server.  Try '/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart', and if that
doesn't work, 'pump -i <interface>' again.   If again you get an ip
address but not a router, your ISP may be having issues.

As a final general troubleshooting note, try checking your log files for
strangeness.  Use grep on /var/log/messages and /var/log/boot.log ("grep
-i '<words-your-looking-for>' <filename>"; check out man grep for more
info or ask here!)  Words I usually search for when troubleshooting an
unknown problem include fail, error, panic, unable, timed out; in this
case I would add dhcp to that list.

One last thing that just occured to me: are you running a firewall on
this machine? I doubt that would be the problem, but just in case run
'/etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains status' and see if you've got a bunch of
firewall rules, lines with ACCEPT and/or REJECT in front.  As temporary
troubleshooting measure, if you are running the firewall, issue
'/etc/rc.d/init.d/ipchains stop' to turn it off and see if your network
returns.  If so, let us know and we can try troubleshooting the firewall
config.

Hope something in that long ramble helps!

-Brian