[Techtalk] Help!

Samantha Blackmon ab8812 at wayne.edu
Tue Mar 5 13:28:03 EST 2002

On Tuesday 05 March 2002 12:14 pm, a magikal owl from bsweeney delivered this
message:
> Samantha wrote:
> >Please forgive the cross posting I am desperate and
> >trying to cover all bases at once.
>
> No problem!
>
> >Today I ran RH's up2date program in order to take care
> >of the security alert they emailed me about. Stayed
> >logged in all day. When I logged out of Linux tonight
> >and went over to the windows side of the box. When I
> >rebooted Grub offered me 2 versions of Linux (2.4.7-10
> >& 2.4.9-31) I assumed that the latter was the newer
> >version and booted that one. The first thing that
> >happened was I got a sound server error (cpu overload,
> >aborting) which is fine because I have an integrated
> >sound card that is not supported yet, then KNotify
> >crashed. Hmmmm. okay close that app.
>
> I've had problems with this as well, though it seems to "go away" after
> a few reboots.  Haven't had time to really troubleshoot it unfortunately.
>
> >Then I find that
> >I am not connected to the net (I have DSL) even though
> >I was and still am on the windows side. OK, reboot.
> >Boot into the old version...no sound server error.
> >Good sign or so I thought. Still no internet
> >connection! Does anyone have an idea of why this is
> >happening??
>
> First question: Is it plugged in?  This may seem silly, but trust me
> asking this question could've saved me much heartache in many
> circumstances.  Check the cabling all around.  Do you have a link light
> on your NIC and your DSL router?  If not, look no further!  Try swapping
> cables, etc.  I know, the odds of a hardware problem developing just as
> you updated the kernel are slim.  Yet, that always seems to be when I
> find mine ;-)
>
> If that doesn't work, I know RedHat did released an update for their
> init scripts to fix a problem aquiring/refreshing IP addresses.  I
> believe it was only for systems whos ip changes often (like my laptop,
> jumping from home lan to work lan), but I'm not sure.  In any case, the
> update didn't fix the issue for me.  The only thing that did was to
> issue a pump command manually.
>
> So, as I believe someone else suggested, type an ifconfig -a command and
> see what the status of your network interfaces is.  If the network
> interface does not show up when you run ifconfig -a (ie, you don't see
> anything besides the "lo" interface), things get a bit more interesting
> as for whatever reason you're nic card isn't being recognized.  But I
> doubt that's it; if it is, post again.
>
> If it is there, try executing the command "pump -i <interface>" where
> interface is the name of your network interface (most likely eth0,
> though it could be eth1, eth2 etc if you have more than one network card
> in your system; it's NOT 'lo' though).  At that point, recheck your
> network interfaces, but this time just type ifconfig without the -a.
>  That'll show only the interfaces which are "up", along with ip,
> netmask, broadcast info, etc.  If you see your interface there with an
> [...]
I am almost embarrassed to admit this but it seems that with the upgrade my
config files had been wiped clean. After panicking for a while and chatting
on #linuxchix, I calmed down enough to go in and look around to see what had
indeed happened. Once I had it all reset I rebooted to give it a chance to
find a new IP (I use DCHP) because I do not yet know the linux equivalent for
"ipconfig /renew".

Thanks for all of the ideas, I am keeping a running list of responses for
things that I am sure will pop up in the future.

Sam