[Techtalk] Keyboard/mouse probs

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Sat Jun 15 18:50:49 EST 2002

On Sat, Jun 15, 2002 at 10:59:12AM -0400 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Pierre Fortin thought:
> On Tue, 11 Jun 2002 20:19:53 +0100 "Rain" <digitalrain at lineone.net> wrote:
>
> > I have a Twinhead laptop (model SLVX2-266TG) it is basically a 266 MHz
> > PII with 64 Meg ram.  I installed RedHat 7.2, all went well during the
> > installation using the graphical installer but on rebooting and then
> > going into KDE the mouse and keybaord wont work.  It is as if there is
> > some sort of conflict.  I tried installing Redmond Linux and the same
> > thing happened. I have installed now four times and everytime the same
> > thing happens.  Any idea where to start looking??
> > Many thanks
>
> At the LILO screen when booting starts, enter "linux 3" which will bring
> your machine up without X...  there, the mouse and keyboard should work in
> text mode.  If so, try starting X with "startx"...  if the mouse &
> keyboard work now, then we share a problem that I can't get anyone to look
> at (yet)...  in my case, only the mouse won't work if I let X start as
> part of the bootup; but it's fine if I startx...

As sonewhere to start looking, X on boot runs /etc/X11/prefdm while startx
from a console runs /usr/X11R6/bin/startx .  Each of these are shell
scripts which in turn start other stuff.  Having a detailed look at each
of these scripts might point you towards what they are loading to see if
there's anything different.

Another thing you could try is "/usr/sbin/lsof".  This tells you what
files are in use by various processes.  Unfortunately, by the time you get
to run lsof, the X configuration file will already have been read so this
might not be that helpful but you never know, there might be something
glaringly different between the startx and the prefdm versions.

Conor (making all sorts of sense at this point...)

Domestic Sysadmin :-)