[Techtalk] CrossOver Office

Beth Johnson linux.chick at verizon.net
Thu Jun 13 15:12:48 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-06-13 at 01:20, caitlynmaire at earthlink.net wrote:

> Why run MS Office at all if you have several choices for document
> compatibility?

I have OpenOffice and WordPerfect on my machine, and I like these
programs but the printing leaves a lot to be desired for me.  I have a
Lexmark z53 connected to lp0 which I use occasionally, but my main
workhorse is a LaserJet 1100 that I have network access to.  Now I can
print anything on the Laser with no problem and I've never had
difficulty setting it up, but with WP and OO they have their own print
dialogs that don't see the Lexmark.  And of course they don't have
drivers for the newer Lexmarks, or for the Laser for that matter (though
I can kludge around with another driver).  The Laser is the only printer
that shows up in printtool, but apps like Opera and GIMP will see both.
<sigh--some day there'll be standardized printing...>

I have mucked around with Wine.  I have one FileMaker-derived program
I'd like to get to run and a special program that I use to create
embroidery patterns to send to my sewing machine.  The latter wouldn't
even render a window last year, but this year with the newest Wine it
actually does.

There is good documentation in the Wine User Guide for which dlls should
be run natively vs. which should be run as built-in.  I'm going to have
a go after I check out the list.

regards,
Beth
who never ran Office in the first place!  All my old docs are in
WordPerfect, uncomplicated new ones are in Abiword.
--
  /\/\    Beth Johnson
 / o o\   Cosmic Wonderer