[Techtalk] problem setting up nat

Hamster hamster at hamsternet.org
Wed Jun 12 15:28:15 EST 2002

Kunal,

> One reason that i compiled a new kernel is because RH7.3 has a custom
> compiled kernel, which doesn't work well with my WinModem (WinModem
> stuff is very picky and it didnt' like the custom RH73 kernel at all).

Oh fair enough. I interpreted your last email to say " i read the howto and the howto told me to remcompile the kernel", in which case I was thinking that sounds like an old and/or dodgy howto. But seeing how there was another reason for doing it, then ok cool.

Once again, sorry I cant solve your unresolved symbols problem. There is however something you might want to try, and thats reposting your original email, but this time change the subject line to something like "unresolved symbols during kernel compile" and that way your email might attract the attention of the kernel people among is.

Just one other observation to make - make sure you compile all the iptables modules as modules - dont compile them into the kernel itself. I have had troubles getting nat to work when the whole lot was compiled into the kernel. It never has any problem though when it can happily load the right modules when it needs to.

Hope you get somewhere with this.

Hamster