[Techtalk] PHP tutorials?

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Sun Jun 9 12:34:36 EST 2002

At 09:55 AM 6/9/2002, Charlotte Oliver wrote:
>Which route should I concentrate on first -- PHP or Perl?  And
>what are some good (free) resources for learning them?

Perl hacker weighing in here. I *love* perl. (I know, that makes me
unusual). Perl is harder to learn than PHP, I agree, and if it's your first
programming language, go for PHP. PHP has matured incredibly over the past
2-3 years. When I frist was making my decision about what web app
programming language to use, PHP was so much less mature of a language than
perl, so I chose perl. I think that's changed a lot, and you can do most
anything with PHP that you can with perl.

However, if you are thinking about doing really complex apps, one of the
real advantages to perl is the variety of perl modules out there to help
(like CGI), that means you don't have to reinvent the wheel. I also like
working with cgi rather than page-based coding, but that's my own
preference (but you can use PHP for cgi as well).

.Michelle

Michelle Murrain
tech at murrain.net
AIM/Yahoo Messenger:pearlbear0