[Techtalk] Discuss CMS's Such As Zope

Megan Golding meggolding at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 6 11:01:10 EST 2002

Update: I'm working down a very simple path now :)
What is it those eXtreme Programmers are so fond of
saying? "The simplest thing that works"

Jenn V. commented that linuxchix.org uses Zope, but
that  I should, "Note that the way we're using Zope,
we rely on the updaters having HTML knowledge or at
least the ability to copy existing pages. Which is
reasonable (I believe) in our situation..."

After installing Zope on my workstation and playing
around for a while, I realized it was a much larger
solution to my (relatively small) problem -- allowing
non-coders to update the content on web pages. I don't
really need an application development framework.

One person suggested looking into blogs (especially
Greymatter) as a "poor man's CMS". That's pretty close
to what I need.

Based on what I saw in Zope and the blog suggestion, I
finally wound up with the idea to use our corporate
Wiki  for web content storage. I'm planning on storing
web content as Wiki topics and export the generated
HTML to our web site. We'll then use server side
includes to get the "body" section to merge up with
the header, footer, etc. I'm testing this out now.

Thanks to Jenn and the lister who wrote me off-list
for their comments and suggestions!

Meg