Truly discouraged Re: [Techtalk] Lost my place in kernel space,

Andrew showork at adelphia.net
Tue Jul 30 23:49:28 EST 2002

Hi all,
Caution this is a massive WHINE
	I can compile, make ,  _install, make mrproper, till the cows
come home. At this point I have thrice lost my way. It could be
naming the file in "/usr/src/linux-2.4.18ajs" has me off course. I
looked in compressed/boot//tools/ and i386 and find no file called
anything "image" ...

	What is "mrproper" I have not found it in any books or how
to's except in Chix-land.

  Three attempts and three failures UGH, do I have to buy the CD 8.2
mandrake it will be the third Mandrake CD if I buy again. Maybe I
should buy a new Mac and end it all.

	I can see "lilo.conf" in MComander but don't know what to
change it to. It, the problem, has got to be one of those very simple
things that isolation from experience users exacerbates.
	Naturally having my wife and 14 yr old clammering for the
"computer" and   stealing it for hour at a time, when ever I take a
breath does not help. When does school start anyway, (my wife is a
teacher).
	As snoopy said arrrrrr...rrrh

	Any ideas other than buying two new Macs for my Family would
be very helpful.  I have read a huge amount of stuff just not yet
actually done it.

>Hi Andrew,
>
>On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 09:44:31PM -0400, Andrew wrote:
>>  Hi All,
>>	A new kernel  I complied, using menuconfig.  Then lost it. I
>  > am in usr/src/nameofmykernelfile "/usr/src/linux-2.4.18ajs"
>>
>>  I am confused as to where to copy the file and what to copy. I got as
>>  far as "make modules".
>>	This should be an easy one but it is my first. Mandrake 8.0
>
>Hm, so I went looking for the answer to this on the kernel hacking
>lessons, but discovered that I left that part out.  How did anyone
>figure out how to do anything? :)
>
>On x86, the image you want is in:
>
><your source tree>/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
>
>You should copy this to somewhere - I suggest:
>
>/boot/mykernel
>
>The instructions on how to set up LILO are under the "Boot Your New
>Kernel" link on this page:
>
>http://www.linuxchix.org/content/courses/kernel_hacking/
>
>And if I'm really cool, tonight I'll add grub instructions and correct
>the glaring omission of what file to copy where.
>
>-VAL

	    Have a nice Day!,
		Andrew