[Techtalk] Lost my place in kernel space,

Val Henson val at nmt.edu
Tue Jul 30 20:22:02 EST 2002

Hi Andrew,

On Tue, Jul 30, 2002 at 09:44:31PM -0400, Andrew wrote:
> Hi All,
> 	A new kernel  I complied, using menuconfig.  Then lost it. I
> am in usr/src/nameofmykernelfile "/usr/src/linux-2.4.18ajs"
>
> I am confused as to where to copy the file and what to copy. I got as
> far as "make modules".
> 	This should be an easy one but it is my first. Mandrake 8.0

Hm, so I went looking for the answer to this on the kernel hacking
lessons, but discovered that I left that part out.  How did anyone
figure out how to do anything? :)

On x86, the image you want is in:

<your source tree>/arch/i386/boot/bzImage

You should copy this to somewhere - I suggest:

/boot/mykernel

The instructions on how to set up LILO are under the "Boot Your New
Kernel" link on this page:

http://www.linuxchix.org/content/courses/kernel_hacking/

And if I'm really cool, tonight I'll add grub instructions and correct
the glaring omission of what file to copy where.

-VAL