[Techtalk] Oracle9i installation problems

Berenice Chong arashi at hpo.net
Wed Jul 31 10:17:42 EST 2002

Hi.  I came to this board on a friend's recommendation and this is my first post here.  I'd like to know if there's anyone here who has successfully installed Oracle9i database on a Mandrake os, or any linux os for that matter.  I started using Mandrake8.2 a few months ago and now I have to install the Oracle database as part of my studies [Yes I know Oracle officially is for Suse and RH but I don't want to buy a new OS just for Oracle if I can avoid it].

My problem occurs when the Universal Graphical Installer tries to install OLAP components such as wrksht.  I get error messages like "error writing to <olap filename>"  What can I do to rectify this?

To the best of my knowledge, my computer has all the files needed for compilation and pre-installation issues.  And I'm sure I decompressed the Oracle downloads properly.  I also checked Oracle documentation and various how-to guides but I can't find anything about OLAP installation problems.

Your advice is much appreciated!
Berenice Chong