[Techtalk] Debugging/ Troubleshooting book

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Jul 31 12:37:22 EST 2002

On Thursday 01 August 2002 07:57 am, kansas_kennedy at phreaker.net wrote:
> Over the last couple of years my own observation with RHL was that 90% of
> the time I have to troubleshoot stuffs here and there....but I haven't come
> across any book on that topic. All the books are plain installation here
> and there..this and that. So um looking for any good book on RHL
> troubleshooting. Or at least making things clear+in-depth enough so that I
> can troubleshoot things myself.
>
> Any1 has any personal choice/ suggestion on books/ white-papers/ technical
> notes??

Hmmmm... good question. I'll get the ball rolling by saying I don't have a
troubleshooting book to recommend, or even know of such a beast.

What I've found is that knowing how things work, and being able to think
analytically does the job. It's not like the Winblows world, where you need
to find the appropriate patch, service pack, or magic combination of reboots
and incantations, because applications are allowed to hose the OS, thereby
introducing a million zillion skillion possible interactions. Unlike the Unix
world, where such interactions are much more limited, plus you can actually
dig under the hood to solve problems.

For example, you shiny new mail server receives but does not send. Reasoning
it through might go along the lines of

-verify firewall is not blocking
-verify network connectivity and configuration
-verify server configuration
-could it be a 733t h4X0r infesting my server

Sometimes apps have their own troubleshooting utilities, that check syntax
and file permissions and such.

Books that I refer to often are Running Linux, Linux In a Nutshell, Essential
System Administration, and Learning the Bash Shell. Then of course
app-specific docs.

--
Carla Schroder, Bratgrrl Computing