Truly discouraged Re: [Techtalk] Lost my place in kernel space,

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Wed Jul 31 17:21:05 EST 2002

On Wed, Jul 31, 2002 at 03:13:38AM -0400, Andrew wrote:
> >  The normal process is
> >
> >	make menuconfig (or make config or make xconfig)
> >	make depend
> >	make bzImage
> >	make modules
> >	make modules_install
> >
> >At that point, the modules are installed and the kernel image is
> >arch/i386/boot/bzImage as somebody else mentioned.
>
> 	Did all the above!
> 	This is where I get lost. Some how to's direct linking, some
> copying.

The problem with linking from /boot or wherever to /usr/src/linux-blah
is that you will never, ever be able to use that directory again for
building a new kernel, since the next build will overwrite the binary
and you won't have the old kernel around in case things go wrong. So
don't do that. :-)

After all, all you need to boot is the bzImage binary, so why keep the
whole directory of cruft around just for that? Copy it over to /boot.

> 	OK now, if file is named "linux-2.4.18ajs"  is that the name
> I put in lilo?  Also all I was finding is 'vmlinux*'.

Yes, you can call the binary in its final resting place whatever you
like. I tend to stick with vmlinuz-<version>-<some other stuff>, but
that's just my own personal tradition.

I don't understand what you mean when you were saying you were just
finding "vmlinux*". Finding it where? I think it probably doesn't matter
once you realise that you can call the kernel whatever you like. Just
make sure the name in lilo.conf matches (and if it doesn't, lilo will
complain when you run 'lilo' after changing the config file).

Cheers,
Malcolm