[Techtalk] AlphaServer "Processor Detected - Uncorrectable ECC error"

David Merrill david at lupercalia.net
Sun Jul 21 03:05:19 EST 2002

On Thursday 18 July 2002 01:59 pm, Suzi Anvin wrote:
> James wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Raven Alder wrote:
> >>----- Forwarded message from David Merrill <dmerrill at metalab.unc.edu>
> >> -----
> >>
> >>Shit shit shit shit shit.
> >
> > Ahh... good news, I take it? ;-)
>
> If I were the person having this problem, I would not find this
> statement helpful.  The person revealed their frustration, and in
> effect had themselves laughed at in type.  I'm sure it was well
> intended to provide humor, but it feels more caustic and sarcastic to
> me. I hope it is okay to discuss the tone with which we help each other
> here! -Suzi

I really appreciate your concern about civility on the list. I want you
and James and everyone else to know that I took it as tongue-in-cheek. I
always assume good will unless given clear reason to think otherwise. And
his ;-) emoticon made it clear to me. Your concern was based on an
understandable misunderstanding, and misplaced, even though I do
appreciate the sentiment. We all like LinuxChix for its comfortable
atmosphere and would hate to see nastiness erupt here.

In a separate message,

On Thursday 18 July 2002 05:11 pm, Conor Daly wrote:
[snip]
> Those of us who know David (on list that is) know how out
> of character his expletives are so he must be having some trouble and
> being so out of character, they almost _demand_ comment.

Yeah, that was out of character. Imagine the morning I had waking up to
find out my precious server was dead!

I've ordered more RAM for the machine in the hope that H. Peter Anvin is
wrong, although I suspect as a kernel hacker he knows what he is talking
about. Hey, I can hope, right? I'll get the RAM on Friday most likely, so
I'll let you know what happens. Cross your fingers for me.

Regards,
- --
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net
Lead Developer                                 http://www.tldp.org

Attorney General and noted McCarthy sycophant John Ashcroft, a
ferociously religious and wildly troubled, apparently sexless,
desperately conservative ball of walking disgust with no discernable
pulse but that's just an opinion.
	-- Mark Morford, San Francisco Gate Columnist