[Techtalk] AlphaServer "Processor Detected - Uncorrectable ECC error"

Conor Daly conor.daly at oceanfree.net
Thu Jul 18 23:11:04 EST 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 11:59:04AM -0700 or so it is rumoured hereabouts,
Suzi Anvin thought:
> Pardon me, I'm in a sensitive mood, but I'd just like to comment some on
> this post, as this list is supposed to be a different place...
>
> James wrote:
> > On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Raven Alder wrote:
> >
> >>----- Forwarded message from David Merrill <dmerrill at metalab.unc.edu> -----
> >>
> >>Shit shit shit shit shit.
> >

> > Ahh... good news, I take it? ;-)
> >

> If I were the person having this problem, I would not find this
> statement helpful.  The person revealed their frustration, and in effect
> had themselves laughed at in type.  I'm sure it was well intended to
> provide humor, but it feels more caustic and sarcastic to me. I hope it
> is okay to discuss the tone with which we help each other here!
> 			-Suzi

I'll have to take issue with you on that.  It looks like a gentle jibe to
me.  James has been invariably helpful on the lists and has never, IIRC,
been rude.  He continued in his post with some helpful thoughts and
advice.  Those of us who know David (on list that is) know how out of
character his expletives are so he must be having some trouble and being
so out of character, they almost _demand_ comment.  James' response is
simply that; a comment along the lines of "My you _are_ angry aren't
you?".  It's not caustic or sarcastic (IMO) but more like an invitation to
rant further.  That's certainly how I'd take it in person.

I can appreciate how you might be offended especially following on the
heels of the "don't use C" post on the courses list but _I_ don't think
James' response to David warranted such negative comment.  In fact, I
think that this reflects well on the linuxchix lists in general and speaks
volumes for the friendly and comfortable atmosphere here that means that
we men don't have to stop and think we're posting to the "womens' lists"
so we have to watch what we say.  I don't feel I have to be on "best
behaviour" just because I'm posting here.  Admittedly, that's in part due
to these lists; since joining linuxchix, my "default" behaviour has
changed (for the better I hope!).  I think David and James' "comments"
indicate how comfortable they are posting here and are a mark of the
success of the Linuxchix charter to have a "safe" and "friendly" place to
be on the Internet.

On reading over that post, it maybe sounds a bit sharper than I mean it
to...

Conor

Domestic Sysadmin :-)