[Techtalk] AlphaServer "Processor Detected - Uncorrectable ECC error"

david at lupercalia.net david at lupercalia.net
Thu Jul 18 12:47:10 EST 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 05:34:29PM +0100, James wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Jul 2002, Raven Alder wrote:
> > ----- Forwarded message from David Merrill <dmerrill at metalab.unc.edu> -----
> >
> > Shit shit shit shit shit.
>
> Ahh... good news, I take it? ;-)
>
> > Processor Detected - Uncorrectable ECC error.
>
> Typically a memory problem - have you tried rebooting? It COULD be
> a transient problem - power glitch or similar scrambling a few bits - or a
> faulty piece of RAM. If it does the same after rebooting, try removing
> half the RAM (assuming you have more than 1 bank fitted!). Then try the
> other half. If it works with one but not the other, you've almost
> certainly just got some faulty RAM; otherwise, suspect the
> processor/chipset...

Yeah, I've tried that multiple times. I wondered if ECC was my clue it
was memory. I'll try removing memory banks (there are 4 64M RAM cards)
and see if I can get it booted that way.

BTW, I set up my spare server, so I can get mail at the usual address
again.

--
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david at lupercalia.net
Lead Developer                                 http://www.tldp.org

Let My worship be in the heart that rejoices,
For behold--
All acts of love and pleasure are My rituals.
		-- from The Charge of the Goddess, Doreen Valiente