[Techtalk] AlphaServer "Processor Detected - Uncorrectable ECC error"

Raven Alder raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Thu Jul 18 13:10:36 EST 2002

Heya --

Quoth James (Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 05:34:29PM +0100):
> > Processor Detected - Uncorrectable ECC error.
>
> Typically a memory problem - have you tried rebooting? It COULD be
> a transient problem - power glitch or similar scrambling a few bits - or a
> faulty piece of RAM. If it does the same after rebooting, try removing
> half the RAM (assuming you have more than 1 bank fitted!). Then try the
> other half. If it works with one but not the other, you've almost
> certainly just got some faulty RAM; otherwise, suspect the
> processor/chipset...

	Yeah, I was thinking it sounded like a hardware problem too.
The box was previously up and running fine; I asked if there were recent
power hits or anything like that.  (Due to faulty electrical wiring in
our house, we went through two power supplies and a motherboard
recently, and that was right through a surge protector.)

	"Uncorrectable ECC error" basically means that the memory failed
its auto-correct, doesn't it?  So I'd bet on the RAM also.

	Googling yields:

http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/v2.2/patch/patch-2.2.11/linux_arch_alpha_kernel_irq.c.html

as a kind-of-interesting thing.

Cheers,
Raven

"You want to taste my packets, boy?  Lick the razor wire."
  -- Alex, after too much BGP