[Techtalk] Laptop recommendations?

Aaron Mulder ammulder at alumni.princeton.edu
Wed Jan 23 14:29:43 EST 2002

	I use a Thinkpad T20, and I love it.  Great combination of weight
(<5) and features.  The top 'o' the line models (now T22 or T23 or so)
will set you back $3500+, but if you don't insist on 1200 MHz, it gets
cheaper fast.  Still, it's definitely more than a Toshiba, but I love it
to death, and I think it's worth every penny.
	You can get integrated ethernet for $100, and at the time I bought
there was both an Intel and a 3Com option available.  I gather the Intal
worked with Linux all along, but the 3Com was added to the kernel more
recently (2.2.17 or so, and early 2.4.x I think).  I use it and the only
thing you need to do to make it work is unload/reload the module in
suspend/resume (using the APM scripts -- more info available).  New models
also offer integrated wireless, but I don't know how that is with Linux (I
use a D-Link PCMCIA wireless card).
	Sound works fine, the modem is a WinModem but I think you can get
it to work with a Lucent binary driver (never tried myself), and video
works fine (1024 on the LCD, 1280+ on external monitors; newer models go
up to 1400x1050 on the LCD).  3D performance is nothing to write home
about.  It has an eraser-mouse, and the best laptop keyboard I've ever
laid hands on.
	2k or XP will cost an extra $100 over 98/ME (at least last time I
checked), but they used to offer at least 1 model with a Linux distro.  I
don't see that option any more, but IIRC it was the same price as 2k, so
the only thing it got you was a (closed-source) Linux DVD player.
	Hard drive looks like 15-48GB, and you can get CD-ROM, DVD-RAM,
CD-RW, or combo CD-RW/DVD-ROM.

	Anyway, IMHO the biggest factors are keyboard, mouse, weight, and
durability.

Aaron

Model stats at:  http://commerce.www.ibm.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce/CategoryDisplay?cgrfnbr=2049168&cntrfnbr=1&cgmenbr=1&cntry=840&lang=en_US