[Techtalk] grep question

Telsa Gwynne hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Fri Jan 18 15:13:45 EST 2002

On Fri, Jan 18, 2002 at 08:35:51AM -0500 or thereabouts, Erin Mulder wrote:
> Does anyone know a way of doing a grep that returns
> extra lines of context around the matching line (much
> like a context diff)?  Perhaps an option I'm missing or
> a short shell script?

I use -B n and -A n. Looking at grep --help, I realise I could
have saved myself another character or two:

Context control:
  -B, --before-context=NUM  print NUM lines of leading context
  -A, --after-context=NUM   print NUM lines of trailing context
  -C, --context[=NUM]       print NUM (default 2) lines of output context
                            unless overridden by -A or -B
  -NUM                      same as --context=NUM

Telsa