[Techtalk] grep question

Mari Wang mariw at acm.org
Fri Jan 18 15:52:53 EST 2002

[Erin Mulder]
> Does anyone know a way of doing a grep that returns
> extra lines of context around the matching line (much
> like a context diff)?  Perhaps an option I'm missing or
> a short shell script?

>From 'man grep':

OPTIONS
     -A NUM, --after-context=NUM
          Print NUM lines  of  trailing  context  after  matching
          lines.
and
     -B NUM, --before-context=NUM
          Print NUM lines  of  leading  context  before  matching
          lines.
and
     -C [NUM], -NUM, --context[=NUM]
          Print NUM lines (default 2) of output context.

And for the record: My grep version is grep (GNU grep) 2.4.2

Some combination of those should enable you to get you what you want.

Mari :)

Mari Wang - mariw at acm.org