[Techtalk] Re: multiple domains, single server

Raven Alder raven at oneeyedcrow.net
Wed Dec 11 16:16:28 EST 2002

Heya --

Quoth Rod Roark (Wed, Dec 11, 2002 at 11:18:49AM -0800):
> Regardless of what you put in the headers, anyone who cares
> will do a reverse lookup on the IP to see where it came
> from.  Forging it will just make you look like a spammer
> (are you one?).

	If I understand correctly, there's no forging involved, since
both IPs (for bobporn and pastorjoe) will be legitimately assigned to
this one machine, with DNS entries to match, etc. etc.  What you're
wanting is to force pastorjoe to use x.x.x.1 and bobporn to use x.x.x.2
in the headers, correct?

	I'd probably try running multiple instances of Postfix on the
one machine (never tried it personally, but I believe it is possible),
and then tell each Postfix instance to bind to the relevant IP address
for the domain that it's serving with

inet_interface = x.x.x.1 (or x.x.x.2, depending on which instance)

in your /etc/postfix/main.cf.  Obviously this file would have to live
somewhere else for the second instance of Postfix, but you get the
idea.  /usr/local/etc/postfix/main.cf or something.

	I'm not sure what other issues you might run into with running
several instances of Postfix on the same server, but apparantly it is
possible.  Wietse Venema says so.  [grin]  (He wrote Postfix.)

http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2000-02/0429.html

and subsequent messages in that thread may be helpful to y'all.

	If anyone actually tries this, please let us know how it goes!
I've been playing more with Postfix lately, and am interested.

Cheers,
Raven

"Oh my God.  You raging geek."
  -- Kay, on my keychain with a thin-net terminator