[Techtalk] multiple domains, single server

Malcolm-Rannirl rannirl-lc at otherkin.net
Wed Dec 11 14:49:24 EST 2002

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 01:04 pm, Rod Roark wrote:

> The "From:" header comes from the mail client, so I'm having
> a bit of trouble understanding what the problem is.

The other headers.

> If it's that you don't want recipients poking around in the
> mail headers and seeing that the "received from" host
> is in some other domain... well, frankly I think that's
> carrying vanity a bit too far.  :-)

That depends. To illustrate:

Say domain #1 is "bobshouseofporn.com" and domain #2 is
"pastorjoesspirtualcenter.org". I'm fairly sure that Pastor Joe would be
quite upset if the headers on mail he sends out looks like:

From: Pastor Joe <joe at pastorjoesspirtualcenter.org>

Especially as "bobshouseofporn.com" could well trip spam and "netnanny" type
filters.

Maybe most people don't look at the transit path, but some people do.
(Take the "how much can people find out about me" challenge on this list from
a few weeks back for examples of what can be turned up if someone looks. I
know some of the stuff that turns up from this particular net-identity and
there's not much I can do about some of it, such as the web accessible
archives for this list).