[Techtalk] SQL learning pointers -- THANKS!

Megan Golding meggolding at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 2 13:48:47 EST 2002

Thanks to Glenda and Lisi for suggesting _MySQL_ by Paul DuBois, from
New Riders. 2 suggestions -- it must be the right book on MySQL :)

Gina suggested _SQL in a Nutshell_ (Kevin Kline with Daniel Kline,
O'Reilly, ISBN 1-56592-744-3. I bought it this weekend and so far, so
good. The Nutshell books are really good for those who need a desk
reference. It'll get more use over time, I'm sure.

Glenda suggested the following for security issues:
> You'll find a number of security tips in the PHP mail lists.
> Keeping your DB connect info in a separate file outside your
> document root is a very basic one (just "include()" it as needed),
> and of course restricting permissions on the DB user for the
> scripts.

You see now - practical advice I might've not thought of -- keeping
connect info outside DocumentRoot. That's why I love these lists!
Thanks also for the tip on checking out the PHP mailing lists.

Dan suggested postgreSQL documentation:
> This documentation, written for PostgreSQL, explains SQL at a very
> basic and intuitive level:
>   http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html
> I recommend reading the first few chapters even if you don't use
> PostgreSQL.

I'm drawn to good documentation, so thanks very much for the pointer.

Rod suggested postgreSQL:
> ... I think PostgreSQL is a better choice from the get-go.
>
> See this for some discussion of PostgreSQL vs. MySQL:
> http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/11/30/1815200

Ah -- thanks for the link.

I'm free to choose whichever (open source) implementation I need as I
'own' the server, so I don't have to worry about my ISP provides.
Since that seems to be the major reason for MySQL over postgreSQL,
I'll probably probably check out postgreSQL.

Thanks to everyone, this was exactly the info I was looking for!

Meg

=====
Meg Golding    |    http://www.kalamitykat.com