[Techtalk] SQL learning pointers

Lisi lists at shemeshdirectory.co.il
Mon Dec 2 17:04:03 EST 2002

At 05:51 AM 12/2/02 -0800, Megan Golding wrote:
>A few specific questions:
>
>1. I understand MySQL isn't a fully relational database, like
>postgreSQL and MS SQL Server. For keeping contact information and
>relatively low loads, will this matter?

Nope.

>3. Is there a must-have book on the topic?

MySQL by Paul DuBois, published by New Riders. ISBN 0-7357-0921-1. The book
has a forward by Monty Widenius, the guy who created MySQL.

>4. Any special tips on security from scripting abuses? My scripting
>is in PHP and a little Perl.

Make sure your db connect info is in a directory that is not accessible by
the web browser, and include the file with that info in any script that
connects to the DB. PHP has many built-in functions to work with MySQL,
it's a great combo. Perl as well.