[Techtalk] SQL learning pointers

Gina Lanik geekgrrl at geekgrrl.priv.at
Mon Dec 2 16:53:44 EST 2002

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 03:41:03PM +0100, Dan Richter wrote:
> Basic SQL is not very difficult to learn and is very useful. You're wise to
> learn it.

AOL =)

> SQL is SQL; the database behind it has no effect on the syntax. (Table
> creation varies, but programs don't actually create tables, just use them.)

I disagree here - quite a number of options and/or "functions" within
one statement can be different from MySQL to Oracle to Microsoft SQL
Server. An excellent book (well-thumbed here @work) is "SQL in a
Nutshell" (Kevin Kline with Daniel Kline, O'Reilly, ISBN 1-56592-744-3).

But then I guess when one starts learning SQL those differences don't
matter that much in the beginning =)

Cheers,

Gina
--
NT and security should not be used in the same sentence
without negation -- Joe Zeff