[Techtalk] SQL learning pointers

Dan Richter daniel.richter at wimba.com
Mon Dec 2 16:41:03 EST 2002

Hi Meg,

Basic SQL is not very difficult to learn and is very useful. You're wise to
learn it.

SQL is SQL; the database behind it has no effect on the syntax. (Table
creation varies, but programs don't actually create tables, just use them.)
This documentation, written for PostgreSQL, explains SQL at a very basic
and intuitive level:
   http://www.ca.postgresql.org/docs/awbook.html
I recommend reading the first few chapters even if you don't use
PostgreSQL. Only the table creation syntax will change depending on which
database you use; the rest is exactly the same.

========== Dan Richter ============== mailto:Dan at wimba.com ===========
   Do I know what's in this bill? Are you kidding? Only God knows...
       - U.S. Senator Robert Byrd, when asked if he knew the
         contents of a $520 billion, 4000-page spending bill