[Techtalk] SQL learning pointers

Glenda R. Snodgrass grs at theneteffect.com
Mon Dec 2 09:12:42 EST 2002

> 1. I understand MySQL isn't a fully relational database, like
> postgreSQL and MS SQL Server. For keeping contact information and
> relatively low loads, will this matter?

I've never heard that mySQL isn't "fully relational" but its original self
didn't support some advanced features like transactions and rollback
(although the new "pro" and "max" versions do).

mySQL was originally built to be extremely fast with simple searches, more
selects than inserts & deletes (like web databases) and it excels in this
field.  Perfect for a contact database, for example (and shopping carts
and the like).

> 3. Is there a must-have book on the topic?

"MySQL" by Paul DuBois, from New Riders, is an excellent book both for
reading and reference.  My copy is very beat up from heavy use.

> 4. Any special tips on security from scripting abuses? My scripting
> is in PHP and a little Perl.

You'll find a number of security tips in the PHP mail lists.  Keeping your
DB connect info in a separate file outside your document root is a very
basic one (just "include()" it as needed), and of course restricting
permissions on the DB user for the scripts.  DB security is pretty
well covered in the book mentioned above.

--
Glenda R. Snodgrass

Before you begin, consider ... The Net Effect
http://www.theneteffect.com
(251) 433-0196