[Techtalk] Window Managers ... again

/dev/null dev_null at iriXx.org
Thu Aug 29 22:52:32 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 23:58, Kathryn Andersen wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 03:59:22PM +0100, /dev/null wrote:
> > i've been using Enlightenment lately - its very pretty and doesn't look
> > too resource hungry to me (i'm running it on a laptop p366 with 224 mb
> > ram (argh or something like that, cant be bothered to do the sums ;)...
>
> I'm surprised you say Enlightenment isn't resource-hungry -- I got the
> impression that it was.
> The thing I find notable about Enlightenment is that it's probably the
> prettiest window manager around.  *Making* themes for it is hard, but
> some of the themes that have already been made are ultra-cool, breaking
> the conventions of "little boxes" that every other window manager has.
> (My favourite E theme is Ganymede.)

yes, it is lovely... i started using it when i noticed it on a friend's
laptop and went 'what is that?..'... he was also running gkrellm and
using the shrooms pic from digitalblasphemy.com - so i kinda cloned his
desktop, im really pleased with it... its a pleasure to work in.
i tend to use the Blue_OS theme... i like kinda minimal but very nicely
done graphics...

> My personal preference is for Fvwm (or to be strictly precise, Fvwm2).
> Because of its modular design, the features you don't want aren't used,
> and thus don't take up memory.  <http://www.fvwm.org/>
> There's an add-on which makes Fvwm very easily themable
> <http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net/>
> One of my favourite things, themewise, about Fvwm are the
> vector-buttons -- it means you can make a theme and change the
> appearance without actually having to make up lots of images.
> My own fvwm theme is on my colour-scheme page
> <http://www.katspace.com/tools/col_scheme/> (down the bottom)

yes, fvwm is really nice... i will have to check out your themes too :)
its a long time since i made themes... for a while i was making quite a
collection of WindowMaker themes...
i really like Fluxbox as well, which is like fvwm with tabbed windows
(yeahhhhhhhhh!)... although i still can't get gdm to recognise my
fluxbox entry so starting it is a bit difficult :(...

> (And can I put in a plea for people to stop Top-Posting?)

actually, there's a reason why i usually top-post... although its become
force of habit now...

on one of the other lists i belong to, there's a guy who is visually
impaired and reads email with text-to-speech tools... for him it is very
difficult to wade through miles of quoted text to find the relevant
replies... so i top-post for accessibility reasons, i never know who
might be using text-to-speech on a mailing list...

bw
miriam

--
iriXx
www.iriXx.org

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom?
info at copyleftmedia.org.uk
www.copyleftmedia.org.uk

 _
( )  ascii ribbon against html email