[Techtalk] Window Managers ... again

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Thu Aug 29 08:58:08 EST 2002

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 03:59:22PM +0100, /dev/null wrote:
> i've been using Enlightenment lately - its very pretty and doesn't look
> too resource hungry to me (i'm running it on a laptop p366 with 224 mb
> ram (argh or something like that, cant be bothered to do the sums ;)...

I'm surprised you say Enlightenment isn't resource-hungry -- I got the
impression that it was.
The thing I find notable about Enlightenment is that it's probably the
prettiest window manager around.  *Making* themes for it is hard, but
some of the themes that have already been made are ultra-cool, breaking
the conventions of "little boxes" that every other window manager has.
(My favourite E theme is Ganymede.)

My personal preference is for Fvwm (or to be strictly precise, Fvwm2).
Because of its modular design, the features you don't want aren't used,
and thus don't take up memory.  <http://www.fvwm.org/>
There's an add-on which makes Fvwm very easily themable
<http://fvwm-themes.sourceforge.net/>
One of my favourite things, themewise, about Fvwm are the
vector-buttons -- it means you can make a theme and change the
appearance without actually having to make up lots of images.
My own fvwm theme is on my colour-scheme page
<http://www.katspace.com/tools/col_scheme/> (down the bottom)

(And can I put in a plea for people to stop Top-Posting?)

Kathryn Andersen
"...but though even words like jujuflop, swut and turlingdrome are now
perfectly acceptable in common usage, there is one word that is still
beyond the pale.  The concept it embodies is so revolting that the
publication or broadcast of the word is utterly forbidden in all parts
of the galaxy except one, where they don't know what it means.
That word is... BELGIUM."
	(Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Fit the Tenth)